This stunning rainbow power bowl is packed with satisfying fiber, plant protein (from the beans, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds), crunch (from all of the vibrant veggies), and flavor. This bowl easily serves four as a main course for lunch or dinner. It would also work well as a meal prep bowl for weekday lunches: On Sunday, make the power bowl (without dressing), then divide it into five individual containers with lids. Package the dressing separately in small spill-proof jars. Voila, lunch for the week— either at the office or at home.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (juice from about 1 lime)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (about ½ a shallot)
- 1 teaspoon country Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped (about 8 ounces)
- ⅙ red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (about a heaping cup)
- 2 yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- In a large flat bowl, toss the baby spinach and romaine together. Arrange cabbage, quinoa, black beans, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, avocado, and red onion in alternating colors around the bowl. Sprinkle the pumpkin and chia seeds evenly across the top.
- Lightly drizzle salad with dressing. Portion into individual bowls or plates and serve.
- Refrigerate any remaining vinaigrette in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to five days.
- Quinoa is rich in both plant protein and fiber—along with many vitamins and minerals. It is also gluten free, making it safe for those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- For a time-saving shortcut, use a store-bought herb vinaigrette.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories: 480; Total Fat: 23g (30% DV); Saturated Fat: 4g (21% DV); Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV); Sodium: 545mg (24% DV); Total Carbohydrate: 57g (20% DV); Dietary Fiber: 20g (71% DV); Total Sugars: 7g; Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV); Protein: 17g; Vitamin D: 0mcg (0% DV); Calcium: 191mg (15% DV); Iron: 6mg (35% DV); Potassium: 736mg (15% DV)
Explore even more healthy eating ideas by talking with a MOBE Guide. Get started today.