Show of hands: before a special event, have you ever considered a body cleanse? Or maybe a post-holiday detox? These quick fixes are often associated with fad diets and expensive supplements. But the reality is, your body is an amazing detox machine all on its own. The liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin, and lungs create a sophisticated system for eliminating toxins—and they do it without you even realizing.1
Like any complex process, you need to take care of your body in order for it to work properly. And while things like avoiding sugar and eating whole foods might immediately come to mind, there are more ways to help your body naturally detoxify.
Five surprising ways to support your body’s ability to detox.
1. Get quality Zzzs.
While you're sleeping, your brain recharges and flushes out harmful toxins that build up while you’re awake.2
2. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.
Water does wonders for your body. Staying hydrated helps regulate body temperature, aids digestion, and gets rid of toxins through regular urination.3
3. Limit alcohol.
More than 90% of alcohol is metabolized in your liver. Excessive drinking can lead to problems like inflammation and scarring, which prevents your liver from adequately filtering waste and toxins from your body.1
4. Strike a yoga pose.
Twisting your body helps stimulate the digestive process. Taking deep, calm breaths relaxes the muscles and diaphragm and helps the gastrointestinal system do its job.4
5. Soak in Epsom salts.
Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts allows minerals and nutrients to absorb into your skin and assist the detoxification process. Magnesium in particular helps encourage your colon to eliminate any backed-up waste.4
Your body is pretty incredible when you look at the whole picture. MOBE can help you connect the dots and better understand how the choices you make affect your overall well-being.
1. Healthline. Full body detox: 9 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body.https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-detox-your-body
2. National Institutes of Health. Brain may flush out toxins during sleep. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/brain-may-flush-out-toxins-during-sleep
3. Thrive Global. 10 Easy Ways to Detoxify Your Body Naturally. https://thriveglobal.com/stories/10-easy-ways-to-detoxify-your-body-naturally/
4. Health. 6 Little Ways to Help Your Body Detox. https://www.health.com/mind-body/healthy-detox-moves