Self-control is important in helping you feel like you’re in charge of your own life. Everyone struggles with self-control at one time or another—when we’re choosing between a sugary dessert and a healthier option, deciding if we’re going to exercise, or even scrolling social media. Fortunately, there are some practical ways to develop more self-control.
Tips for better self-control.
It takes practice and perseverance to be successful with self-control. Here are a few ways to get started.
- Set goals, even if they’re small: Try setting hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly goals. When you reach your goals, you can see how much you’re capable of—which can help develop greater self-control and confidence.
- Remove temptation: Whether it’s food, the TV remote, or your smartphone, try to remove anything that may distract you from your goal.
- Give yourself “you” time: Self-care is not selfish. It’s a way to give yourself time for what you need, in that moment. Just a few minutes for self-care can help you be more mindful and self-aware.
Power up your self-control with mindfulness.
Mindfulness is a mental habit you can develop to strengthen your self-control. The simple definition of mindfulness is being in a state of awareness—about yourself, the things around you, your behaviors, and more. It means focusing on what’s right in front of you at any given moment. Even a few minutes of mindfulness can provide meaningful results.
Ways to be mindful.
Being mindful provides a sense of peace, and it can help you engage your senses more fully. How mindful are you? Find out with this quiz. Here are a few important ways to practice mindfulness:
- Eat mindfully: Slow down and pay attention to every bite, noticing the textures, tastes, and sensations of eating. Eating mindfully can help prevent overeating and may improve digestion.
- Awaken your senses: Focus on your surroundings, no matter where you are. What colors, smells, and sounds do you notice? Heightening your senses can promote self-awareness and help you feel in control.
- Find a sense of self and peace within: Check in with your body and see how you feel. Be aware of what’s happening in your mind, your heart, your head, and with each breath you take.
See how mindfulness can support better well-being.
When you’re more mindful of your thoughts and actions, you have more self-control and focus—which can help your overall well-being. A MOBE Guide can help you practice mindfulness, develop your self-control, and more. Get started today.