Prescriptions, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, and supplement products can play a crucial role in managing health conditions and helping us feel better. Yet, they can also be complex and confusing. Whether you’re taking something new or reflecting on what you’re already taking, asking questions is an easy way to help you find clarity.
Questions to ask when starting a new medication.
Whenever you’re starting a new medication, use these questions as a starting point with your doctor or health care provider. Bring any lingering medication questions to a MOBE Pharmacist.
- Why am I taking this medication, and how long will I need to take it?
- How am I supposed to take it so that it works best?
- How long will it take to work, and how will I know it is working?
- How should I store it?
- Will it interact with any other medications, including OTC meds and supplements?
- What side effects might I expect? When should I report them to my doctor?
- Should I avoid certain foods, drinks, or alcohol while taking this?
Questions to ask at a medication checkup.
It’s a good idea to check in with your health care provider or MOBE Pharmacist at least twice a year to make sure everything is still necessary, safe, and effective.
- Am I taking something that I no longer need?
- Are all of my current prescriptions, OTC medications, and supplements doing what they are supposed to be doing?
- Am I taking anything that could have a negative effect on my health—either on its own or along with something else?
- Are any of my medications treating side effects of something else I’m taking? Are there other ways to manage those side effects?
- Do I need to make changes to my medication, or the dose, because of recent changes to my body, health status, or lifestyle habits?
Make the most of all your meds.
A MOBE Pharmacist can answer any lingering questions you have about any medications or supplements. Download the PDF to keep these questions on hand and for space to take notes. To find out if you’re eligible for MOBE, check your status. When you’re ready to take the first step with a MOBE Pharmacist call 844-841-9275.